The mission of Chair of Simulation and Patient Safety is generate, disseminate and transfer knowledge about patient safety, through the use of teaching simulation and innovation in all healthcare areas, for the improvement of clinical practice and comprehensive and advanced patient care.
Generate, disseminate and transfer knowledge about patient safety, through the use of teaching simulation and innovation in all healthcare areas, for the improvement of clinical practice and comprehensive and advanced patient care.
Become a driver behind activities concerning the development of teaching, applied research, innovation and knowledge transfer, so as to promote new healthcare practices which are more efficient, more innovative and safer.
The values that govern the Chair are:
- Commitment to the citizen, as a patient, as an objective and reference of all healthcare activities
- Collaboration and cooperation between the different actors: researchers, primary care health professionals, hospitals and public health centres, social entities, city councils, the Generalitat of Catalonia and with the University of Vic-Central University of Catalonia as a focal point from its Manresa campus.
- The collective participation of the different actors in the definition of the objectives and the planning of the activities.
- A strong foothold in the Bages, Osona and Central and Inner Catalan territories as a scenario for the development of the proceedings and open to collaborations with other Catalan, state and international groups.
- Transferring research into patient simulation and safety programmes which stand out for their quality, efficiency and sustainability.
- Professionalism as the driving force behind activities.
- Ethics and integrity as the core of teaching and research.
- Transparency in the management of the Chair and its activities.
- Teaching quality and research, as the guiding principles of all the activities carried out by the Chair.
La càtedra de Simulació i Seguretat del Pacient té els objectius següents:
E.1. Interact with the Research Groups and Chairs of the UVic-UCC group to promote synergies between researchers to direct the scientific objectives of the Chair.
E.2. Collaborate with primary, hospital, and public health professionals within the territory.
E.3. Promote joint participation in the research projects of the Chair with the different research structures of the UVic-UCC (research groups, other Chairs, research centres, faculties) taking advantage of the synergies that can be established to contribute to the fulfilment of the scientific objectives of the Chair.
E.4. Identify common scientific challenges with primary, hospital and public health professionals within the territory in order to define collaborative projects jointly.
E.5. Collaborate with the other research structures of the university (research groups, Chairs, research centres, faculties) in the development of scientific dissemination activities.
E.6. Establish a mechanism for the coordination of the Chair with agents and social representatives in order to research and prevent adverse events within the UVic-UCC regional area.
Teaching and training AIMS
F.1. Integrate patient safety and simulation as key elements in Healthcare Science programmes (both specifically and transversally).
F.1.1. Objective for Undergraduate programmes:
F.1.1.1. Integrate patient safety in the curricula, emphasising the importance of simulation techniques in undergraduate programmes.
F.1.1.2. Advise the three Healthcare Faculties (FCSM, FCSB, FM) regarding the accreditation of professional healthcare competencies with ACOES (an objective structured clinical evaluation system).
By means of an agreement with the General Directorate for Professional Planning and Health Regulation of the Department of Health, assuming the responsibility of the accreditation of health professions in the UVic-UCC as a management task.
F.1.2. Objective for Postgraduate programmes:
F.1.2.1. Integrate patient safety in the curricula, emphasising the importance of simulation techniques in postgraduate programmes.
F.1.3. Objective for Lifelong learning (SIMDAYS and others):
F.1.3.1. Respond with training programmes, workshops and simulation techniques, to the needs identified in the health and social sectors.
F.1.4. Objective for Vocational Training:
F.1.4.1. Design simulation laboratories in vocational training programmes (FP with internships in companies): clinical assistants, radiologist technicians ...
By means of an agreement with the Department of Education.
F.2. Educate citizens in the prevention of adverse events to facilitate their empowerment.
Research and innovation AIMS
R.1. Advance in the field of research and innovation in aspects related to patient safety.
R.2. Advance in the field of research and innovation in aspects related to simulation methodology.
R.3. Explore the use of technology for better health education.
R.4. Foster programmes in undergraduate degrees and postgraduate studies (pre-doctoral and postdoctoral stage) in the methodology of research and in the epidemiology of adverse events.
C.1. Support both public and private organisations in Catalonia, the rest of Spain, and internationally, for the design, implementation, and evaluation of services and programmes, with patient safety projects and simulation, including context evaluation, design and planning, teaching content, leadership support, monitoring of implementation and quantitative and qualitative results assessment.
I.1. Foster the internationalisation of the Chair through relationships with other international organisations.
I.2. Promote the mutual recognition of other international universities.
I.3. Prepare and implement training programmes that respond to the training needs of other countries (eg: Cuba, Chile ...).
I.4 Conduct national and international conferences at UVic-UCC on patient safety and simulation methodology.
The Chair will depend hierarchically on the Bages University Foundation (FUB) and the Health and Social Studies Centre (CESS). The Chair will strive to establish covenants and collaboration agreements with entities and institutions that are in line with its objectives. As a priority, it will do so with the Department of Health of the Generalitat of Catalonia, as well as with other academic and professional institutions and associations (SESSEP, SCIS, SESAM, etc ...)
The Chair will have a Scientific Directorate, as well as six main areas of activities in which the director of the Chair will have the support of different researchers, professionals and representatives within the structure:
- Activities related to the Faculty of Healthcare Sciences of Manresa will be coordinated with Dr. Carlota Riera and Dr. Xavier Gironès.
- Activities related to the Faculty of Healthcare Sciences and Wellbeing will be coordinated with Dr. Paola Galvany.
- Activities related to the Faculty of Medicine will be coordinated with Dr. Ramon Pujol and Dr. Roser Anglès.
- Activities related to the International Centre for Lifelong Learning will be coordinated with Mr. Oscar Dalmau.
- Activities related to the International High Performance Clinic Centre (CISARC) and the University Clinic will be coordinated with Ms. Aida Camps.
- Activities related to the Generalitat of Catalonia (Departament of Health, Sub-directorate of health and pharmaceutical planning and quality) will be coordinated with Dr. Josep Davins.
The Chair will have a Scientific Committee comprised of two people, who can be either internal or external to the UVic-UCC, at the proposal of the coordinator of each of these areas, and presided by the Director of the Chair.
The Scientific Committee will meet at least twice a year to put forward and define the activities to be carried out and to evaluate the current programme.
Contacts with other structures
The Chair will maintain contacts with different levels and structures of the UVic-UCC:
- All three Healthcare faculties:
- The Faculty of Medicine,
- The Faculty of Healthcare Sciences of Manresa, and
- The Faculty of Healthcare Sciences and Wellbeing of Vic.
- With research groups; especially the research group (emerging SGR) regarding teaching innovation, simulation and patient safety.
- With the CESS and other Chairs of the UVic-UCC (especially the Medical education Chair and ICT in Healthcare Chair).
- With the University Clinic of Manresa, as a strategic and key infrastructure for the implementation of innovative projects in the field of simulation.
- With the Generalitat of Catalonia, Department of Health, Sub-directorate of health planning and quality.
According to the Organisation and Operation Rules of the UVic-UCC, the organisational structure and the activities of the Chair will be self-financing with the contributions made by external entities that will be established in the agreement, with the income generated by its activities and with the subsidies or contributions that can be received from public or private entities.
The UVic-UCC, through the FUB, will provide human resources and a budgetary allocation for current and operational expenses. Both the FUB and the CESS will give technical support to teaching, research, knowledge transfer and the integral administrative management of the Chair.
Contact with the chair of simulation and patient safety
Coordinator: Dra. Carmen Gomar
Universitat de Vic - Universitat Central de Catalunya
T. 93 877 41 79